Trailer of the Month

Monday, October 22, 2012

STAR TREK
 
 
Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, Leonard Nimoy, Eric Bana, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana, John Cho, Anton Yelchin, Tyler Perry, Bruce Greenwood, Chris Hemsworth
 
The brash James T. Kirk tries to live up to his father's legacy with Mr. Spock keeping him in check as a vengeful, time-traveling Romulan creates black holes to destroy the Federation one planet at a time.
 
 
The moment I heard the news they were making a new trek movie I wanted to hit my head into a desk. I mean why mess with perfection? But knowing hollywood, they are not going to stop until they've screwed up all the classics.  Okay, so let me start off by saying I was never a fan of this movie and as long as I had to pay to watch it I would refuse to watch it. I have person issues with the casting of this movie as well as some others but that is a completely different issue all together. So one night I was home and SHOWCASE was on its blockbuster movie trip and I saw it.
 
Don't get me wrong, I still believe this movie should not have been made first because they needed some writers who had at least SOME inkling of the Star Trek history and what Gene had in mind when he created this breath-taking masterpiece.  There were so many holes in this movie I sat there, staring at the screen thinking--erm....
 
But to be honest, the graphics work and the jokes within the movie were none-stop and just perfect. One of my issue is the looks of the Romulan. I mean sure back in the day they were crude but that was the point. I don't think Gene meant for them to look like mutated fish without eyebrows.  I understand creative licensing. I really, really do....but the complete change of the Romulan physique was more than that--it was someone's attempt at re-writing trek.  Thank heavens they didn't seem fit to add a few klingons because then I'd be really mad as the Klingons are my absolute favorite species in the franchise.
 
And why was Tyler Perry in this movie? I am still confused as to what purpose he held. I mean, sure the character was necessary for the movie to work  and filled a gap, but Tyler Perry? The man's a genius and a major talent but not in Trek.
 
They really did try adding classic lines from the original but they were just flat and uncalled for.
 
All in all, this movie wasn't really my cup of tea - But the actors did what they could with what they were given. I especially love Anton Yelchin as Chekov was priceless and Zachary Quinto as Spock was somewhat refreshing.  I was somewhat disappointed however with the relationship between Spock and Uhura. I don't know I didn't feel a chemistry there--it was just as bad as Steven Segal in a sex scene.
 
 
Overall, it was good if you have no concept of trek or the history behind the characters and its place in TV history. If you are like me and you're a buff in TV history...you may want to skip this one.
 
 
On a lighter note - Check out this installment of HISHE!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment