Trailer of the Month

Thursday, November 4, 2010

P.S, I LOVE YOU

Title:  P.S I Love You
Director: Richard LaGravenese
Starring: Gerard Butler, Hilary Swank, James Masters, Jeffery Dean Morgan, Lisa Kudrow, Kathry Bates, Gina Gershon, Harry Connick Jr.


Story:
A young widow discovers that her late husband has left her 10 messages intended to help ease her pain and start a new life.


My Review:
Now, normally I don't watch this kinda stuff. because I CAN'T stand romantic comedies. They are so fruffy. But after watching "Leap Year" (review in October) and liking it, I figured, why not watch this one. I've been meaning to do so but kept on seeing things that annoyed me in the commercials.  Finally I was trapped, in the house, on a rainy day and after searching through all the damn channels we pay an arm and a leg for every month, I couldn't find anything else worth watching so I did.


*sigh* ok...This story had promise. It started out amazingly! I mean it started out that I fell for Gerard's character and Hillary's and it went from there. The comedy in this movie was on point and clever and had me laughing.  But where the story took on a strange, horrible twist is as the movie drew closer to the end, it was like the writer got bored of writing it so he just found the most horrible way to end all the little open stories in the movie. It was like they casted too many big names and didn't know what to do with them.

Now how do I explain it without giving it away? Ok here goes...So Holly (Hilary's character), her husband Gerry (played by the always sexy Gerard Butler) died and before he died he left a recording and letters for Hilary so she would slowly get over his death, right? Ok got that part...After he dies she's a mess but Daniel (Harry Connick Jr.) is in LOVE with her and tries everything he knows of to prove it to her. But then the writer, getting bored, decided he was going to let Daniel simply give up. I mean I get that but damn! He's been through hell trying to get this woman, she even called him by her dead husband's name!! So anyways I should stop there because I am going to give it away if I do but the ending made the whole movie a giant waste of my time. I should have known to watch it for a while but it seems I am one of them hard learners.  Moving on, then when she got the final letter, I should have stopped watching. The rest was just a killer for the whole deal.

Oh and I cannot end without saying, it was GREAT not seeing Kathy busting some knee caps (If you guys don't know what that is in reference to, I shall now shake my head and say tsk tsk, rather haughtily). Her performance as Holly's mother was heart felt and endearing...Oh and James Masters was great too--it was good to see him as a man rather some blood starve vampire....

Gerard Butler could use his accent in this movie--speaking with a rather delicious irish brogue that made my mouth water. Though he was in the first few minutes of the movie and died--duh!--he popped in from time to time in memories or as his voice narrated his letters to Holly.  And each time he did, you simply had to smile and say "awwww" because it was the most romantic ways--to hold her hand, to rest his head on her shoulder, to spoon with her in bed.....

So what did I really think of P.S I Love You?  It's a great movie if you don't watch the ending. If you do watch it to the end, you're probaly going to be left thinking "what the heck? I gave up an hour and a half of my life for that?"

It's up to you...but other than the end, its a wonderful peice.

Hugs,
Kato

2 comments: